Now I'm pitiful, I don't really know how to write Chinook

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri May 12 18:59:40 UTC 2006

Part of an undated shorthand letter (1890s?) from a Shuswap man at Lac La
Hache, BC:

Alta naika klahawiam.
(NOW I PITIFUL)
'Now I'm pitiful.'

Naika ilo dlit komtaks mamuk pipa.
(I NOT REALLY KNOW MAKE WRITING)
'I don't really know how to write [Chinook shorthand].'

Naika tomtom naika kimta kopa kanawi klaksta.
(I THINK I BEHIND FROM EVERY SOMEONE)
'I think I'm way behind everyone.'

Kanawi klaksta dlit komtaks Shinuk pipa.
(EVERY SOMEONE REALLY KNOW CHINOOK WRITING)
'Everybody [else] really knows Chinook writing.'

Naika ilo kakwa kopa tlaska.
(I NOT SO TO THEM)
'I'm not like them.'

This man had some of the best handwriting I've ever seen in shorthand!

--Dave R.