Getting creative when you can't remember a CJ word

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun May 21 17:40:47 UTC 2006

I appreciated the creativity one guy showed in his shorthand CJ letter
from the 1890s that I was reading last week.

He was relaying some news about a senior community member's bad health,
and started to refer to this "lamiai".  Not feeling sure whether this was
the right word (though the word lamiai does mean "old woman"), he crossed
it out.

Then he continued on: "ukuk ol kluchmin" fit his needs perfectly well.
(Literally "this old woman".)

I thought this was a good model of using all of your knowledge of a
language.  You don't have to know all the words, but you have to be
creative with what you do know.

Cheers,

--Dave R