[thx Jeff Kopp] Now possible to recover oldest recordings

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun May 21 21:47:26 UTC 2006

Jeff Kopp sent along amazing news that something we'd hoped for has become
possible.  Some scientists have succeeded in recovering the sound from old
wax cylinder recordings using optical scanning.  Nothing touches the disk
(which would wear it out, ruining valuable information).  The recordings
at the following links are impressive.  I think they've managed to clean
up so much surface noise that we now hear versions better than a wax
cylinder player ever delivered.  The potential for recovering detailed
phonetic and other linguistic data from old recordings of NW languages is
huge.  For example, there's quite a bit of recorded Chinook Jargon waiting
for this treatment, when it becomes available and easy to use.  Thanks,
Jeff.

--Dave R

"...they're working on optical recovery. This sounds pretty complicated
(it's done with a particle accelerator at the DOE's Lawrence Berkeley
National Laboratory), but besides being totally non-destructive (every
play of a wax cylinder can damage it a little), it gets more of the sound
out. http://www.newsobserver.com/303/story/234530.html

Here's another:
http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/08/preserve3/index.php"