spakram; Curtis; CJ etymological dictionary

Anthony Grant Granta at EDGEHILL.AC.UK
Wed Nov 1 20:05:41 UTC 2006

>>> David Robertson <ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU> 11/01/06 5:59 pm >>>
-Laxauyam, Dave (my responses are interlinear):

Naika tlus tilikom Anthony,

Thanks for your acute observations.

You may be right about "spakram" being originally Coast Salish; it's
good
to be aware of the various patterns of contact.

-Lillooet has borrowed a greater proportion of basic vocab from other
Native languages than any othewr I know of in North America.

Curtis does seem like a really useful resource.  I've only glanced at
his
stuff so far, but for example there's a good deal of Lower Chehalis.
That's a language that's hard to find information on!

Finally, you bring up a desideratum I'd mentioned to several people
lately:
An etymological dictionary of Jargon.  I imagine that sounds totally
crazy
to some people--a language with such a brief history, having histories

behind its words?!

But this is one pidgin/creole that took words from an unusually broad
range
of languages.  And I think because of that, we can learn a heck of a
lot
about pidginization by establishing the closest forms for each Jargon
word
in the source languages.

Then we might get a good picture of which word types tended to get
picked
from each language--by this I mean, were they particles, or onomatopeic

forms, or middle-voice verbs, or what?  Grammatical notes on the source

language will have to be included in each entry.

Some work like this has been done on the Chinookan component of Jargon
(see
Henry Zenk & Tony Johnson, George Lang, etc.).  It's contributed
towards an
idea of how Chinookan speakers and others identified "words" to pull
out &
use in Jargon.  Now imagine learning the equivalent information about
the
Salish, Kalapuyan, Sahaptin, Indo-European, Wakashan et al. parts of
Jargon.  And how these may have differed through time, space and
source-
language dialects.

-There's a lot of information out there (Samuel Johnson's dissertation
is a marvellous place to start); the thing is to get it together. Most
of the words have known etymologies.  I've come across a few etymologies
by pure chance myself.

Note that Sally Thomason and Zvjezdana Vrzic have done nice work on the

sources of Jargon structures beyond the word-level: Word order,
negation,
etc.  And some writers have looked at the relative percentages of
vocabulary that each source language contributed to CJ.  But, in spite
of
the enormous amount of data in existence on Jargon vocabulary, a
thorough
etymological analysis remains to be done.

Since I've been getting experience making a Jargon dictionary out of
the
Indigenous shorthand texts, I'm eager to move on to an etymological
project.  It should be a team effort.  Henry, Tony, Sam Johnson, Sally,
and
Francisc, you all have personal CJ dictionary files of one sort or
another...

-I did an etymological  wordlist myself once, as part of my PhD work on
Creole French (I was looking at agglutinated articles); I may still have
a copy somewhere.....  -
-Anthony

--Dave

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond
privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!
This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill University or associated companies.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible and delete it and all copies of it.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill University do not actively monitor content.  However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill University to access business communications during staff absence.

Edge Hill University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.  However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Edge Hill University for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
<<<<EdgeHill>>>>