spakram; Curtis; CJ etymological dictionary

Sally Thomason thomason at UMICH.EDU
Wed Nov 1 20:43:26 UTC 2006

...And my lexical files have etymologies, or at least
etymological proposals by various people -- the published
sources, but also all the material Terry Kaufman got when,
in the 1960s, he wrote a bunch of people (including e.g.
Melville Jacobs) to ask for sources for a lot of words
he hadn't been able to find sources for.  I also have a
somewhat less systematic list of loanwords from CJ into
Native languages.  But I think Henry & Tony are far beyond
what I have already, although probably I have some things
they don't, thanks to Terry's files.  My lexical files
include every instance of each word that I've found in all
the original sources that I've checked -- *not* including
the sources Dave has been working with, though, but most
of the other 19th-century sources, including a couple that
were never published formally.

   Dave is right that we should pool our resources.  I
started typing up my 3x5 cards a few years ago when I wrote
a paper for a Salish Conference volume on a hard-to-find
19th-c. CJ word-list, but that word-list was limited, and
I didn't get far beyond its entries when typing up my list.
IF I can manage to find the time to finish the job, I'll put
it on my website and it'll be available to others interested
in the data.

   -- Sally