Oral history cites on CJ

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Mon Nov 20 01:15:17 UTC 2006

>From a database I briefly searched...enjoy!  --  Dave R

6. Document of Blackwood, Harriot Georgina Rowan-Hamilton, Lady Dufferin,
1843(?)-1936 01-Aug-1876 in British and Irish Women's Letters and Diaries
[Document Details] [Collection Details]

The house was very nice, the floors and part of the walls covered with a
kind of native matting. After making the tour of the village we returned
to the platform. The people collected round, and sang "God save the
Queen," and some English songs, and then a song about Metlacatlah,
composed by Mr. Duncan, and set to the air of "Home, Sweet Home"; also
some English and Tschimchyau hymns. An Indian then read an address in
English, and the chiefs signed it in our presence. D. replied, Mr. Duncan
taking down his speech, and translating it afterwards. He speaks their
language perfectly, while many Englishmen only learn a jargon called
Chinook, which is a sort of "pigeon English," intended for trading
purposes, and quite unfit to explain the mysteries of a new religion.

27. Document of Below is the text of interview Chuck Williams in
collection Columbia River Dissenters Series at Center for Columbia River
History. Oral History Archive ..."Williams, Chuck 22-Jan-1999 in Columbia
River Dissenters Series [Document Details] [Collection Details]

They could get Saiwash [sp?] yelled at them, which was kind of the
equivalent of nigger. It was the Chinook jargon word for Indian. It became
a slur towards Indians to whites. Fortunately, it seems to have
disappeared from - unlike the N-word - it seemed to have disappeared from
the vocabulary here in the Northwest. They would have rocks thrown at them
and such, but they were educated and half white, so they weren’t - they
didn’t really fit in with the Indian community, too. In fact, when Aunt -
Widacreek [sp?], Aunt Virginia - the woman photographed by Curtis - would
come down to visit my grandma, her niece, they would kind of be
embarrassed, because she was what they used to refer to as a blanket
Indian.

28. Document of Below is the text of interview Chuck Williams in
collection Columbia River Dissenters Series at Center for Columbia River
History. Oral History Archive ..."Williams, Chuck 22-Jan-1999 in Columbia
River Dissenters Series [Document Details] [Collection Details]

CH: Arthur Clyde. CW: He goes by Clyde - went by Clyde. He past away a few
years ago. My mom’s still alive. CH: And so, he was - his father was
white... CW: Yeah. CH: And his mother was... CW: Was full-blooded. CH:
Full-blooded Indian. CW: Yeah. His father’s Charles Otis Williams, the
Welsh man. That’s who I’m named after. CH: Oh I see, I see. CW: But Chuck -
 but he went by Charlie. Chuck is a Chinook word for river. So that’s why
I’ve always gone by Chuck. A lot of the rivers like the Klickitat and
White Salmon, that are wild - they’re National Wild and Scenic rivers, I
was the impetus behind.

38. Document of Below is the text of interview Chuck Williams in
collection Columbia River Dissenters Series at Center for Columbia River
History. Oral History Archive ..."Williams, Chuck 22-Jan-1999 in Columbia
River Dissenters Series [Document Details] [Collection Details]

The main downside of this. And it’s right in a flyway with a huge raptor
population. So they figured if they poisoned all the raptors’ food then
the raptors wouldn’t come around. But Dennis and Bonnie White are the ones
to talk to about that. I’ve got my hands full with the tributaries. Being
Indian rivers have always been my main priority. In fact my name Chuck is
Chinook jargon for river. My nickname in Indian Country is wild and scenic
Chuck because of all the rivers that I’ve helped save around the
Northwest. CH: Anything else that you’re currently working on? CW: That’s
the main thing. Unfortunately, the main role left for me now is to go
around and point out the queens naked.

67. Document of Leighton, Caroline C., 1838- 10-May-1866 in North American
Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

We walked out to Lake Union, and found an Indian and his wife living in a
tree. The most primitive of the Indians, the old gray ones, who look the
most interesting, do not commonly speak the Chinook at all, or have any
intercourse with the whites. On the way there, we found the peculiar rose
that grows only on the borders of the fir-forest, the wild white
honeysuckle, and the glossy kinni-kinnick — the Indian tobacco. We saw a
nest built on the edge of the lake, rising and falling with the water, but
kept in place by the stalks of shrubs about it. A great brown bird, with
spotted breast, rose from it.

70. Document of FitzGerald, Emily McCorkle, 1850-1912 27-Dec-1874 in North
American Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection
Details]

I will try to get you hats next summer. These Indians don't talk anything,
Mamma; they grunt. I believe their language is called Chinook and Siwash.
It is just striking twelve and I am going to bed. If the boat doesn't
leave early, I will add some to this in the morning, but, as it may, I
will say good night. With lots of love to all, Your loving daughter, Emily
FitzGerald I forgot to say the blue ribbons are just what I want. Bess is
playing around with her new things. She insists upon having her new brush
and will brush the dog, kittie, and the floor. I wish I could get her a
little dust pan and brush like we used to have but guess I will have to
wait until we get East.

75. Document of Woodman, Abby Johnson, 1828- 05-Apr-1888 in North American
Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

April 19. The day was dark and rainy, and we spent it mostly in our room.
I made one excursion to a bookstore and purchased Lieut.
Schwatka's "Alaska," and a small guide-book to the Chinook language. This
last we studied in the dim light of the day, and were much amused as well
as complimented by finding that the Indians throughout the entire
Northwest give the name of "Boston" to all white inhabitants of the United
States, as well as to the whole country itself. In fact, "Boston" has more
significance to these native Alaskans than any other word in their or the
English language. To them it stands for intelligence, incomprehensible
power, and destiny.

76. Document of Leighton, Caroline C., 1838- 02-Jul-1865 in North American
Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

The house is not ready for us. We are obliged at present, for want of a
chimney, to stop with our nearest neighbor. But we pay it frequent visits.
Yesterday, as we sat there, we received a call from two Indians, in
extreme undress. They walked in with perfect freedom, and sat down on the
floor. We shall endeavor to procure from Victoria a dictionary of the
Haidah, Chinook and other Indian languages, by the aid of which we shall
be able to receive such visitors in a more satisfactory manner. At
present, we can only smile very much at them. Fortunately, on this
occasion, our carpenter was present, who told us that the man was
called "Hunter," which served as an introduction.

77. Document of Leighton, Caroline C., 1838- 20-Sep-1865 in North American
Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

We take great satisfaction in the recollection of this one day of pure
Indian life. The next day we decided to try a canoe. We should not have
ventured to go alone with the Indians, not understanding their talk; but
another passenger was to go with us, who represented that he had learned
the only word it would be necessary to use. He explained to us, after we
started, that the word was "hyac," which meant "hurry up;" the only danger
being that we should not reach Port Townsend before dark, as they were apt
to proceed in so leisurely a way when left to themselves. After a while,
the bronze paddlers — two siwashes (men) and two klootchmen (women) —
began to show some abatement of zeal in their work, and our fellow-
passengers pronounced the talismanic word, with some emphasis; whereat
they laughed him to scorn, and made some sarcastic remarks, half Chinook
and half English, from which we gathered that they advised him, if he
wanted to reach Port Townsend before dark, to tell the sun to stop, and
not tell them to hurry up.

78. Document of Leighton, Caroline C., 1838- 04-Apr-1869 in North American
Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

PORT TOWNSEND, WASHINGTON TERRITORY, This afternoon we rode past the grave-
yard of the Indians on the beach. It is a picturesque spot, as most of
their burial-places are. They like to select them where land and water
meet. A very old woman, wrapped in a green blanket, was digging clams with
her paddle in the sand. She was one of those stiff old Indians, whom we
occasionally see, who do not speak the Chinook at all, and take no notice
whatever of the whites. I never feel as if they even see me when I am with
them. They seem always in a deep dream. Her youth must have been long
before any white people came to the country.

82. Document of Brown, Tabitha, 1780-1858 Aug-1854 in North American
Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

We were soon there, and ate plentifully of fresh venison. Within 8 or 10
feet of where my tent was set fresh tracks of two Indians were plain to be
seen, but I did not know they were there. They killed and robbed a Mr.
Newton but a short distance off, but would not kill his wife because she
was a (Clushman?)2 The word, "Clushman" appears here in parentheses with a
question mark after it. Whether the question mark appeared in Tabitha
Brown's original or was added by the transcriber, there is no way to know.
The word was spelled several ways, more often "Kloochman," meaning "woman"
in Chinook Jargon, the inter-tribal trade language of the Pacific
Northwest Indians.

83. Document of Brown, Tabitha, 1780-1858 Aug-1854 in North American
Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

" Yes — Niker hias scocum Tillscum, Close Tumtum. me very brave woman,
good heart. Cumtux Chemuke Wawwaw? Understand Indian talk?5 This was her
attempt to render a message in the Chinook Jargon, the short-hand inter-
tribal trade language of the Pacific Northwest tribes from Oregon to
Alaska. It became a constant of the early white man's slang in in every
day talk, so much so that J. K. Gill, the Portland bookstore, for many
years published a Gill's Dictionary of the Chinook Jargon. The last
edition bought by this author at the Gill store a number of years ago was
the eighteenth, published in 1960, and compiled by John Gill. A helpful
reference on this subject is Edward Harper Thomas, Chinook: A History and
Dictionary (Portland, 1970). Tabitha Brown

84. Document of Duniway, Abigail Jane Scott, 1834-1915 01-Jul-1852 in
North American Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection
Details]

"Mitchell (The driver alluded to) after having been told that he must do
better or leave the train, took ‘french’ leave of us and we have not seen
or heard of him since. He is a (‘Cultis, Tilaqum’), which being
interpreted a (trifling fellow)." 1853 Revision. The use of the Chinook
jargon is interesting."One day our ‘Salon Wagon’, as we called the wagon
that served as a ‘parlor’, overturned, my sister Fanny (Mrs. Mary Cook) as
soon as she could extricate herself, poked her head out of the hooded
wagon and cried, ‘Oh Lord, come here quick!’ My uncle came running up and
said, ‘Jenny, hadn't you better call on some of the company?

85. Document of Hutchinson, Elizabeth M. B., 1829-1866 24-Jun-1854 in
North American Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection
Details]

has grown more since she left home than she had for several years before.
She looks considerably like a woman and every hair on her head is full of
ambition. She begins to talk of Silks, Spanish side Saddles young Lawyers
etc. But But Giee's giees as the red man says are ad Swampus non comatum
that is men of the first standing.3 This conglomeration of words is
probably a localized form or distortion of the Chinook jargon, trade
language of the Pacific Northwest Indians. None of the Chinook
authorities, however, list any of them. I must tell you something about
the Mrs of Oregon4 Due to the shortage of women, many were married as
young teenagers, and are sometimes referred to as "child brides.

86. Document of Shipley, Celinda Elvira Hines, 1826-1905 01-Aug-1853 in
North American Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection
Details]

In the morning a great many indians came to camp with fish which they
wished to exchange for clothing. We bought a number. The Salmon
[unreadable] here are [unreadable] indians (the Diggers) cannot understand
the Eng. language. They understand & use the words swap & no swap, which
words they make use of in trading. We occasionally meet one with whom
Uncle G & his family can converse in the Chinook dialect & jargon used by
the indians of western Oregon These indians are dressed in any old
clothing they can [unreadable] the emigrants Some [unreadable] others are
fully clad. They seem most anxious to get shirts & socks.

87. Document of Shipley, Celinda Elvira Hines, 1826-1905 01-Aug-1853 in
North American Women's Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection
Details]

This is quoted in full in our epilogue to the Hines diary. But I know that
our loss is his gain that he is yet [unreadable] & he loves [unreadable]
watch over me & continue to guide me An indian chief being with us with
whom uncle G could talk in the Chinook dialect — took several of his men
who were expert swimmers & divers & made every exertion to get the body
but were unsuccessful. With hearts overflowing with sorrow we were under
the necessity of pursuing our journey immediately as there was no grass
for the cattle where we were. Messrs Marsh & Walter being with
[unreadable] services were engaged [unreadable] Marsh drove our team &
went about a mile camped on a river It seems that Pa had a presentment
that something was to happen as he had often spoken of his dread of
crossing at this crossing Wolves howled Took water with us & went about 15
miles to Malheur river & camped. road pretty good mostly through sage Our
camp was in a very pretty place but all was sadness to me Very pleasant
Remained in camp The men [unreadable] nearly all [unreadable] The new road
[unreadable] the Willamette valley above Oregon city saving 150 miles
distance leaves the old trail near this place.

122. Document of Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888 Undated in The American
Civil War: Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

They were a robust lot, of tall and well-shaped figures, and were called
in the Chinook tongue "salt chuck," which means fish-eaters, or eaters of
food from the salt water. Many of the young men and women were handsome in
feature below the forehead, having fine eyes, aquiline noses and good
mouths, but, in conformity with a long-standing custom, all had flat
heads, which gave them a distorted and hideous appearance, particularly
some of the women, who went to the extreme of fashion and flattened the
head to the rear in a sharp horizontal ridge by confining it between two
boards, one running back from the forehead at an angle of about forty
degrees, and the other up perpendicularly from the back of the neck.

123. Document of Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888 Undated in The American
Civil War: Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

Next morning they all assembled, and we talked in the Chinook language all
day long, until at last they gave in, consenting, probably, as much
because they could not help themselves, as for any other reason. It was
agreed that on the following day at 12 o'clock, when the tide was going
out, I should take my men and place the canoes in the bay, and let them
float out on the tide across the ocean to the happy hunting-grounds. At
that day there existed in Oregon in vast numbers a species of wood-rat,
and our inspection of the graveyard showed that the canoes were thickly
infested with them. They were a light gray animal, larger than the common
gray squirrel, with beautiful bushy tails, which made them strikingly
resemble the squirrel, but in cunning and deviltry they were much ahead of
that quickwitted rodent.

124. Document of Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888 Undated in The American
Civil War: Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

This unexpected development was mystifying. They had all disappeared;
there was not one in any of the canoes, as investigation proved, for
disappointment instigated a most thorough search. The Indians said the
rats understood Chinook, and that as they had no wish to accompany the
dead across the ocean to the happy hunting-grounds, they took to the woods
for safety. However that may be, I have no doubt that the preceding visits
to the burial-ground, and our long talk of the day before, with the
unusual stir and bustle, had so alarmed the rats that, impelled by their
suspicious instincts, they fled a danger, the nature of which they could
not anticipate, but which they felt to be none the less real and
impending.

125. Document of Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888 Undated in The American
Civil War: Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

CHAPTER VII. LEARNING THE CHINOOK LANGUAGE — STRANGE INDIAN CUSTOMS —
THEIR DOCTORS — SAM PATCH — THE MURDER OF A WOMAN — IN A TIGHT PLACE —
SURPRISING THE INDIANS — CONFLICTING REPORTS OF THE BATTLE OF BULL RUN —
SECESSION QUESTION IN CALIFORNIA — APPOINTED A CAPTAIN — TRANSFERRED TO
THE EAST. THE troubles at the Siletz and Yaquina Bay were settled without
further excitement by the arrival in due time of plenty of food, and as
the buildings at Fort Haskins were so near completion that my services as
quartermaster were no longer needed, I was ordered to join my own company
at Fort Yamhill, where Captain Russell was still in command.

126. Document of Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888 Undated in The American
Civil War: Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

I returned to that place in May, 1857, and at a period a little later, in
consequence of the close of hostilities in southern Oregon, the Klamaths
and Modocs were sent back to their own country, to that section in which
occurred, in 1873, the disastrous war with the latter tribe. This reduced
considerably the number of Indians at the Grande Ronde, but as those
remaining were still somewhat unruly, from the fact that many questions
requiring adjustment were constantly arising between the different bands,
the agent and the officers at the post were kept pretty well occupied.
Captain Russell assigned to me the special work of keeping up the police
control, and as I had learned at an early day to speak Chinook (the "court
language" among the coast tribes) almost as well as the Indians
themselves, I was thereby enabled to steer my way successfully on many
critical occasions.

127. Document of Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888 Undated in The American
Civil War: Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

This necessitated severe measures, both to allay the prevailing excitement
and to preclude the recurrence of such acts. The body was cared for, and
delivered to the relatives the next day for burial, after which Captain
Russell directed me to take such steps as would put a stop to the
fanatical usages that had brought about this murderous occurrence, for it
was now seen that if timely measures were not taken to repress them,
similar tragedies would surely follow. Knowing all the men of the Rogue
River tribe, and speaking fluently the Chinook tongue, which they all
understood, I went down to their village the following day, after having
sent word to the tribe that I wished to have a council with them.

128. Document of Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888 Undated in The American
Civil War: Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

The conversation waxing hot and the Indians gathering close in around me,
I unbuttoned the flap of my pistol holster, to be ready for any emergency.
When the altercation became most bitter I put my hand to my hip to draw my
pistol, but discovered it was gone — stolen by one of the rascals
surrounding me. Finding myself unarmed, I modified my tone and manner to
correspond with my helpless condition, thus myself assuming the diplomatic
side in the parley, in order to gain time. As soon as an opportunity
offered, and I could, without too much loss of self-respect, and without
damaging my reputation among the Indians, I moved out to where the
sergeant held my horse, mounted, and crossing the Yamhill River close by,
called back in Chinook from the farther bank that "the sixteen men who
killed the woman must be delivered up, and my six-shooter also.

129. Document of Sheridan, Philip Henry, 1831-1888 Undated in The American
Civil War: Letters and Diaries [Document Details] [Collection Details]

He gave me the necessary authority, and I at once set to work to bring
about a better state of discipline on the reservation, and to put an end
to the practices of the medicine men (having also in view the recovery of
my six-shooter and self-respect), by marching to the village and taking
the rebellious Indians by force. In the tribe there was an excellent woman
called Tighee Mary (Tighee in Chinook means chief), who by right of
inheritance was a kind of queen of the Rogue Rivers. Fearing that the
insubordinate conduct of the Indians would precipitate further trouble,
she came early the following morning to see me and tell me of the
situation.

130. Document of Below is the text of interview Jeff Van Pelt in
collection Umatilla, Oregon Oral History Archive at Center for Columbia
River History. Oral History Archive ..."Van Pelt, Jeff 16-Mar-1999 in
Umatilla, Oregon Oral History Archive [Document Details] [Collection
Details]

Sign language [Lifts middle finger]. If someone did that to you, you knew
that they were angry with you. If someone did that to you, you knew they
were being friendly with you. There was a certain way that we could talk
and we could communicate. And also by using kind of a Chinookan language,
which was a language that we used in a lot of our trade areas where multi
groups would come together. So the Sahaptin people were up there speaking
in the treaty, and at first it started out that Governor Stevens and
Palmer got up and they would say, well this is what we want to do in this
treaty and blah-blah-blah.