latsikanstik

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 10 15:33:47 UTC 2006

Also in Demers there is a strange word for "oak": latsikanstik, obviously analyzable as latsikan-stik. Previously I thought that this "latsikan" should be of French origin (because of the la-), but I didn't find any match. Only yesterday I have discovered that it's from Chinookan: in Curtis' vol 8 - Chinookan word lists we have for "oak":
  [Lower] Chinook: i-lats-kan;
  Cathlamet: ih-hlach-kan [ix-Lach-kan];
  Wishram: ihl-nach-kan [iL-nach-kan].
  There is a similar word also in "Shoalwater Bay": lats-kan "oak" (Curtis' vol. 9, Vocabulary of the Coast Salish Tribes; according to the author, "Shoalwater Bay" is just a dialect of Lower Chehalis). I suppose that this is a loan from Lower Chinook, since the other Coast Salish languages listed there have different words for "oak", and the Lower Chinook word has cognates in other Chinookan languages.

  Francisc