spakram

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 31 11:38:08 UTC 2006

Klahawiam kanawe klaksta,

  Thank you very much for the replies!
  Yes, it looks that I made a confusion between Thompson and Shuswap...
  But what have flowers to do with bitterroot?
  Le Jeune's "spakram" means "flowers" or "flowery"; Good's Thompson "spakum" means "flowers"; and Saanich "speq'EN" means "flower".
  I have the impression that this is a different word than the BC Salish names for "bitterroot" (sp(')at'm, sp(')et'm, spit'Em).
  As far as I know, Le Jeune didn't use "kr" for [tL']. But he used sometimes "kr" for a special k-sound, most probably [q'] (cf. "krell" for [q'El] "hard" in "Chinook Vocabulary" - 1892, and in "Practical Chinook Vocabulary" - 1886).
  Thus, "spakram" could be in fact something like [spaq'am] or [spaq'Em], quite similar with Thompson "spakum" (where "u" is most probably for [E]) and with Saanich [speq'EN], all having the same meaning: "flower(s)".

  kloonas tsepe naika, wek dlet naika komtax

  Francisc

Dave Robertson <ddr11 at UVIC.CA> wrote:
  in the shorthand should stand for something like /sp(')at'm/
or /sp(')et'm/. (And local Salish languages have an alternation of [t']
with [tL'].)

This "spakram" of Le Jeune's should come from Shuswap Salish, I would have
expected. That's the language spoken in Kamloops as well as the
surrounding region.

But Shuswap has /spit'Em/ for "bitterroot", according to Kuipers' 1982
community-use dictionary. That's pretty different from Le Jeune's form.

Le Jeune spoke Thompson as well, though. That language has /sp'et'm/ for
bitterroot with the skin removed. (And a separate word for bitterroot in
general.) This information is in the 1996 dictionary.

Whatever the origin, I've never seen the term used in
anyone's Chinook Jargon. Le Jeune's list of month names is interesting but
more as a curiosity, probably conveying translations of Salish-language
words. Everyone used English (and in a few cases French) month names in
the CJ of that region, as far as I've always found.

--Dave R

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!

Low, Low, Low Rates! Check out Yahoo! Messenger's cheap  PC-to-Phone call rates.