/pLEX/ is Jargon?

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 12 12:44:25 UTC 2006

Re-reading Ross's "Chinook Vocabulary" I have foud the answer to a query of Henry Zenk in his messages of June 9 and 10: where got Gill the word eptlach (O.C., that is "Old Chinook") = "medicine"?
  Ross has Eptl-ach = Medicine (the last entry on page 327).

  Francisc

hzenk at PDX.EDU wrote:
  -pLEX is recorded in Wasco as 'medicine'. Jacobs also records Clackamas -blEX
'medicine, poison'. The Demers dictionary has Chinuk Wawa optlaH (H for the
"h" with its right leg lopped off) 'liniment' (the o- suggests that this is a
feminine noun, while the Wasco and Clackamas citations all appear with the
masculine prefix i-; this suggests that the stem could have had different
meanings in Chinookan depending on its gender prefix). And finally, Dale
Kinkade has Upper Chehalis plEX with the following translation and note:
"aphrodisiac, Spanish fly, love medicine, love charm; possibly a loan from
Chinook, via Chinook Jargon eptlach." Dale got the latter ("eptlach") from S.
V. Johnson I believe, who in turn got it from one of Gill's dictionaries.
Where Gill pulled it out of I've never been able to trace: he labels the item
"O.C" = Old Chinook, that is, not Chinook Jargon at all. Henry

Quoting David Robertson
   :