Horse rig story

James Crippen jcrippen at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 17 10:11:20 UTC 2006

On 9/16/06, Leanne Riding <riding at timetemple.com> wrote:
> The word "aiak" always reminds me of the japanese word hayai/hayaku due
> to coincidence of meaning of "aiak". Hayai (adj.) and hayaku (adv.) are
> two forms of the same base word, which I have been taught can mean early
> or fast respectively...

As far as I know, hayai and hayaku have essentially the same meaning.
The so-called  "i" adjectives in Japanese have a stem (in this case
"haya") that is modified with various suffixes. The -i suffix is the
imperfective aspectual form which modifies nouns among other things.
The -ku suffix is used for modifying verbs which have their own aspect
instead of one on the adjective. In any case, hayai means "fast" or
"early" depending on context.

James