Highberg, "Orchard Prairie: The first hundred years, 1879-1979"

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Mon Jan 21 06:44:55 UTC 2008

Fairfield, WA: Ye Galleon Press, 1998.

(You know I have a special interest in the sparse history of Jargon in the
Spokane area.  Here's an excerpt I found while browsing a neighborhood book
store today.  It's valuable partly because of its unstandardized spellings
of Jargon words...can you make them out?  --  Dave)

Page 51:

"THE WHITE-HAIRED INDIAN

by

Louise Gertrude Stoneman

from

Dot Van Leuven's notebook

I had been married only a few months when one day an Indian opened the door
and walked in and sat down.  I said, 'Kla Howia m six.'  [sic]

He said, 'How Boston man home?'

'No,' I said, 'He had gone to Spokane.'

'Stoneman see Quiton?  Jkatawa O ict moxt-clone sun' [sic] (Meaning they,
"the ponies" had been gone one, two, three days.)  He had hunted all over,
he said, and could not find them.  He had come here thinking that Stoneman
had seen them.  His talk was half English, half Chinook jargon.  ...It was
young Tenesler...[who] lived on Orchard Prairie."