mystery "French" in Wawa

Anthony Grant Granta at EDGEHILL.AC.UK
Fri Jun 13 18:44:17 UTC 2008

Folks:

Just to add a bit to Robert Kentta's posting:

Susan Fuller provides Leo Frahctenberg with a short vocabulary of Siletz Salishan (a variety of Tillamook).  Daisy Collins helped out her brother Miller Collins (who was a preacher in some Pentecostal church, I seem to recall) when Swadesh and Melton interviewed Miller Collins and got Tututni data for the Penutian Vocabulary Survey.  (I know Tututni isn't Penutian, nor are Galice and Northern Paiute, which they also recorded - but I'mglad they took the time.)

Anthony

>>> Robert Kentta <rkentta at CTSI.NSN.US> 06/13/08 5:19 AM >>>
hzenk at PDX.EDU wrote:
> I was wondering whether anyone out on the list has a clue about the
> following three words, all collected as Wawa by John P. Harrington on
> the lower Columbia and Oregon Coast in 1942 (these are from the
> Harrington Papers, mf rolls 17 and 18):
>
> lident 'dandelion' (given by Louis Fuller, who also spoke Salmon R
> Tillamook).
>
> labins 'beans' (also Louis Fuller).
>
> lapeyl 'can (for cooking in)' (Joe Peter, a Cowlitz living at Yakima
> Res).
>

> All three words appear to have French articles, but I don't find
> anything like them in my French dictionary.  Are they Canadianisms?
> Local coinings?  (Since so many nouns for introduced items are from
> French, there may be a tendency to adopt the French article as a sort
> of noun-classifier for such words).  Henry
>
> To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond
> privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!

Louie Fuller was from here at the Siletz Reservation, and was the son of
John Fuller, a Salmon River Tillamook headman. There were Clatsop
connections in the family (his mother?, grandmother???). There was
rumored to have been french ancestry, but that may have been a mistake -
or based on conjecture. Louie had a brother named
Michel/Michael/Machelle - I've seen all spellings. Michel LaFramboise of
HBC may have been familiar to the family in the early days. Louie
married a SW Oregon Athapascan woman from Siletz (Daisy Collins-Fuller),
and their children learned both Tillamook and Tututni languages - as
well as CJ. Harry Fuller lived to be fairly old, and passed here 6 or 8
years ago. He didn't speak any English until he went to school....said
he "had a hell of a time" trying to learn English.

Robert Kentta
Siletz

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill University or associated companies.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible and delete it and all copies of it.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill University do not actively monitor content.  However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill University to access business communications during staff absence.

Edge Hill University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.  However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Edge Hill University for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.