'ankerchers

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Sun Mar 16 22:55:46 UTC 2008

Hi kanawi!

  The analogy with la vieille > lamiyay is very good, just like le naveau > lenawo / lenamo „turnip”.
  What I was looking for are examples with final [f] becoming [m].
  Usually [f] from English or French words becomes [p], like in fire > paya, fish > pish, or, in final position, les oeufs > lezep / lisap „eggs”.
  But this final [m] reminds me the alternances already found in CJ:
  la table (michif: la tab) > latab ~ latap ~ latam „table”
  le diable > leyob > leyop > leyom / leyam „devil”
  and also the fact that E.S.Curtis („The North American Indian”, Vol. 8, 1911, page 204) renders the Lower Chinook word for „people” (til(i)xam) as „tillahap”.
  And this reminds the influence of denasalising languages of the area (like Lushootseed and Twana from the Salishan Family, Makah and Nitinat from Wakashan, and Quileute from Chimakuan) and the „hypercorrect” tendency of „re-establishing” the nasal where it wasn’t the case (like in latam, leyam). What is different with the CJ word for „handkerchief” is that, as far as I know, there isn’t attested a form with final [p]. All versions that I found have a final [m]: hikEchEm, hakatshum, hankatshum, hakatchum, ankechem, ankechim, hankechem, hankerchim, henkerchim, hankachim.

  Cheers,
  Francisc

Tom Larsen <larsent at PDX.EDU> wrote:
One possibility of where the final [m] came from - Lower Chinook,
according to Boas, did not distinguish [m], [b], and [w], by which I
assume he means that they were allophones of the same phoneme (although
Boas himself didn't believe in phonemes). Lower Chinook also did not
have [f]. It would not be too far fetched to think that a native
speaker of Lower Chinook would have pronounced the English word
"handkerchief" substituting for the final /f/ the Lower Chinook phoneme
which most closely resembles English /f/, which would probably be the
phoneme pronounced [m] ~ [b] ~ [w]. This of course also assumes that
the English word "handkerchief" was introduced into Chinook Jargon by
speakers of Lower Chinook (or perhaps some other language which also
didn't distinguish these sounds?), which again would not be too hard to
imagine.

We see a similar phenomenon with the Jargon word "lamiyay" 'old woman',
which comes from the French word(s) "la vieille". Again, Lower Chinook
did not have had a phoneme /v/, so a speaker of that language would have
substituted the nearest Lower Chinook phoneme, which would be the one
pronounced [m] ~ [b] ~ [w].

Portland State University logo

*Tom Larsen*
Database Management and Catalog Librarian
Portland State University Library
PO Box 1151
Portland, OR 97207-1151

Phone: 503-725-8179