Snus

Tom Larsen larsent at PDX.EDU
Wed Jul 1 04:14:53 UTC 2009

Yes.  I don't know for sure what the reliability of this site is: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/snus
  , but they claim that the word snus comes from Swedish.  I remember
my father, who was Norwegian-American (both of his parents emmigrated
from Norway), used the word snus (in English) for snuff that you stick
under your lip.  I'm not sure that he ever used the stuff himself, but
he certainly knew about it.  And I can assure you that my father knew
absolutely nothing about Chinuk Wawa, or any other Native American
language for that matter.

Tom