Snus

Don duMas don_dumas at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 2 04:02:58 UTC 2009

OK. Heres my two cents worth:

I'm guessing that snoose and all its permutations, especially ones like snus, snuf, snuis, snout, etc. are somehow related to the English "snook":  (ME: snoke; to sniff, to smell), as in "cocking a snook" (a display of derision or defiance, i.e. to thumb your nose, or pinch it as in closing it with your fingers to avoid a bad smell).

Just a guess.

Don duMas
The Blind Art Director

206-300-5368 mob
360-629-4283 ph/fx
don_dumas at yahoo.com

From: Alan H. Hartley <ahartley at D.UMN.EDU>
Subject: Re: Snus
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 5:48 AM

Anthony Grant wrote:
> Anything to do with German Schnupftabak 'snuff', or British English
> prison  slang 'snout' (tobacco, latterly also certain drugs)?

For "snoose", the OED says, from Da., Norw., and Sw. snus 'snuff,' shortening of Da., Sw. snustobak, Norw. snustobakk 'snuff tobacco' (cf. G. schnupftabak). (There's also the obsolete English "snush", which was common ca. 1680-1700.)

And for "snuff", OED says, prob. from Du. and Flem. snuf or snuif (WFris. snuf) in the same sense, apparently an abbreviation of snuiftabak.

OED has no comment on any relation between the SNUS type and the SNUF.

It says "snout" (tobacco) is of obscure origin.

Alan

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!