Buckets too Re: How do you say "Indian corn" in French?

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Sun May 10 17:30:07 UTC 2009

These obervations are great.  Learning a lot here!  I do remember now having
read "ble d'Inde" on corn-chip packages in Canada.

But no suggestions for a source of "French" loanword <lcheemi> "Indian corn"
in Coeur d'Alene?

I'm also puzzling over a supposed French loan in the language, <Lchip>
"bucket".  (With voiceless lateral at the beginning.)  I can't think of
French loans in any NW language having an original <l> mutate into <L>.  Any
ideas here?

--Dave R