Corpora: Summary: Machine Translation of Compound Nouns

Oliver Cromm ocromm at icsd4.tj.chiba-u.ac.jp
Fri Apr 21 03:19:41 UTC 2000

Sorry for the great delay of this Summary.

I asked for resources on Machine Translation of Compound Nouns,
especially using corpora, statistics, or word similarity.

I received a lot of useful hints which I should have shared earlier.
1. and 2. are actually papers on MT of Comp. nouns, the other references
are more about extraction, interpretation, or give general literature
in the field.

-------------------

1. Gregory Grefenstette sent me his paper from the
ASLIB "Translating and the Computer 21 Conference"

"The WWW as a Resource for Example-Based MT Tasks",

which Christian Jacquemin also pointed to.

2. Francis Bond <bond at csli.stanford.edu> referred two papers in TMI-99 by
Takaaki Tanaka <takaaki at cslab.kecl.ntt.co.jp> and
Kumiko Ohmori <kumiko at isl.ntt.co.jp>,
resp.

3. Gabriel Pereira Lopes refered the work of
Antonio Ribeiro <ambar at di.fct.unl.pt>,
Gael Dias <ddg at di.fct.unl.pt> and
Joaquim Ferreira da Silva <jfs at di.fct.unl.pt>
in the Universidade Nova de Lisboa.

Also, Henny Klein pointed to an Gael Dias-abstract at
http://www-uilots.let.uu.nl/~Paola.Monachesi/personal/abstr/dias.html

On request, J. da Silva sent one paper of his.

4. Maria Lapata <mlap at cogsci.ed.ac.uk> sent an abstract of her paper
"The Acquisition and Interpretation of Compound Nouns"

5. Ingo Plag <plag at mbox.anglistik.uni-hannover.de> gave the reference to

Compound comprehension in isolation and in context. The contribution of
conceptual and discourse knowledge to the comprehension of novel noun-noun
compounds. By RALF MEYER. Linguistische Arbeiten, Band 2999 Tuebingen: Niemeyer,
1993. Pp. XIII, 224. Paper DM/SFr 106.00

and sent a review he has written of this book.

6. Piroska Lendvai <p.lendvai at dpg.hu> quoted two interesting homepages with references:

http://www.signiform.com/compoundnoun
http://www.let.rug.nl/~vannoord/clin/clin.html

7. Arthur Cater <Arthur.Cater at ucd.ie> gave the following reference:

"English Compound Noun Interpretation Using A Lexical Database"
Dermot McLoughlin, 1999. Unpublished and unexamined M.Sc. dissertation,
Dept of Computer Science, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4,
Ireland

together with a description of its contents.