Corpora: Copyright question

Paul Thompson p.a.thompson at reading.ac.uk
Thu Aug 3 17:13:51 UTC 2000

I am planning to do some linguistic research on journal articles in
different disciplines, and I want to make up a mini-corpus of articles
from different journals by scanning them and then creating tagged
versions. This is purely for research purposes; I don't plan to make the
corpus available outside of the department that I work in.

My question is: Do I need to get copyright clearance from all the
publishers? I would guess that the answer is 'yes', but in none of the
comparable studies that I have read have I seen any acknowledgement of
the permission of the publishers to store these texts in digital form
(for research purposes).

This question may well have been asked before, and I don't want to clog
up people's mailboxes, so please send your answers directly to me - I
will post a summary later.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Thompson