Corpora: Welsh Corpus - DTD?

Nancy M. Ide ide at cs.vassar.edu
Wed Sep 6 14:51:42 UTC 2000

Philip Resnik at the University of Maryland (resnik at umiacs.umd.edu)
has marked up several different language versions of the bible, using
the Corpus Encoding Standard (CES) which is described at
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/CES. An XML version of the CES is available
at http://www.cs.vassar.edu/XCES.

Nancy Ide

Peter Littlechild writes:
 > As part of an initiative to create a corpus of written Welsh
 > I'm investigating means to create a machine-processable form
 > of the Welsh Bible. This text is heavily enriched with
 > cross-references, markers indicating dubious etymologies,
 > missing words, and other things I haven't fathomed yet. It's
 > the perfect justification for using SGML/XML.
 >
 > Does anyone know of previous work on marked-up versions of
 > bibles? Are there special DTDs or some appropriate subset of
 > the TEI DTD, for example?
 >
 > Thanks in advance for any help.
 >
 > Regards
 > Peter Littlechild
 >
 > --
 > <from>
 > <name>peter littlechild</name>
 > <section>publishing tools and technology</section>
 > <dept>user documentation</dept>
 > <firm>s.w.i.f.t. sc</firm>
 > </from>

Nancy Ide

Professor and Chair
Department of Computer Science, Vassar College
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604-0520 USA
Tel: +1 845 437-5988 Fax: +1 845 437-7498
ide at cs.vassar.edu

Chercheur Invite
Equipe Langue et Dialogue, LORIA/CNRS
Campus Scientifique - BP 239
54506 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 83 59 20 47 Fax: +33 (0)3 83 41 30 79
ide at loria.fr