Corpora: Longman Learners' Corpus

Michael R. Klieman klieman at ling.ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 23 01:42:16 UTC 2001

Hello all,

I have two questions:

There is a corpus of English as a second language learners' essays called
the Longman Learners' Corpus.  Hiroyuki Oshita used it in his dissertation
and some subsequent papers (1997, 1998, 2000) to analyze the acquisition of
unaccusatives by ESL students.   I am replicating his work, and would like
to get a hold of the LLC, but have not been able to find it
anywhere.  Longman (a dictionary company) has reference to it on their
website, but won't respond to my emails.  Does anyone know anything about
the LLC, and how to get access to it?

Second question:   Does anyone know of a similar corpus of ESL learners'
English, either spoken or written?

Thank you all for your time,

Michael Klieman
Linguistics, University of California, San Diego
klieman at ling.ucsd.edu