Corpora: Locating hedging devices in written academic discourse using concordancing

Brian Dungate mail at dungate.co.uk
Sun May 19 16:20:28 UTC 2002

Dear List Members

Some time ago I asked whether anybody had any useful references or programs
concerning the use of concordancing to locate hedging terms or devices in
written academic discourse.

Sadly, although I received several requests that I should post a summary of
replies received, only one list member was in a position to assist me on
this occasion - Peter Crompton, who referred me to his paper, which others
interested in this research area might well also find useful:

Crompton, P. (1997). Hedging in Academic Writing: Some Theoretical Problems.
English for Specific Purposes 16/4, 271-287.

Brian Dungate
University of Brighton