[Corpora-List] Some comments on aligners

Sampo Nevalainen samponev at cc.joensuu.fi
Mon Sep 9 07:55:01 UTC 2002

Dear all,

Obviously I did not want to open a can of worms with my query, but I guess
it just slipped open...

Like Ute, I don't see any difference between commercial and non-commercial
products - except the price, of course :-) . I mean, they all deserve to be
discussed critically and openly, and what else could be a better media for
such kind of discussion? I think James got straight to the point wiht his
reply: the mailing list is a great channel to discuss different
alternatives - and if there is freeware that does the job better than the
commercial ones, this is just great. Of all possibilities we can choose the
one that best fits our needs ... and meets our budget.

And, I have to admit that Diana's harangue is working. I think I must get
better acquainted with the possibilities of IMS-CWB as soon as I have some
time...

Thank you all for your responses.

sincerely,
sampo

( : ============================================= : )

Sampo Nevalainen, M.A.
Researcher
University of Joensuu
Savonlinna School of Translation Studies
P.O.Box 48
FIN-57101 Savonlinna
FINLAND

tel     +358-15-511 70      (operator)