[Corpora-List] Summary - Arabic name lists

Ada Brunstein abrunste at bbn.com
Fri Jul 18 19:44:07 UTC 2003

Hello,

Many thanks to all who responded to my query on where to find Arabic name
lists.  Several people have expressed interest in seeing the results.
Below is a summary:

-------------------
>From Erin McKean:

The Ehrensperger report of the American Name Society.

http://www.wtsn.binghamton.edu/ANS/

-------------------
Mike Maxwell:

Arabic first names for men, in romanized form:

http://www.kabalarians.com/cfm/CultureBrowse.cfm?CultureID=143&Gender=Male

names for women:

http://www.kabalarians.com/cfm/CultureBrowse.cfm?CultureID=143&Gender=Female

-------------------
>From one of our annotators here at BBN:

The UN Food and Agriculture Organization website includes a list of all
countries that are members of the FAO or have been mentioned in FAO
reports.

http://www.fao.org/faoterm/nocs/html/Default-e.htm . It also provides
capital cities, languages, and Nationalities for each country.

Also for Arabic first names first names (men):

http://worldzone.net/arts/damma2000/MANNAM.htm

first names (women):

http://www.worldzone.net/arts/damma2000/WOMENNAM.htm

Tim Buckwalter:

Downloadable proper names:

http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Catalog/CatalogEntry.jsp?catalogId=LDC2002L49

The Perl one-liner for extracting proper names:
   perl -ne 'print if /\tN.+?\t[A-Z]/' < dictStems

Thanks again!
Ada