[Corpora-List] Semantic Prosody questions?

Xiao, Zhonghua z.xiao at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Dec 16 03:11:31 UTC 2004

Irena,

Thought you might find the following references helpful:

Richard

Dr Richard Xiao
Department of Linguistics
Lancaster University
Bailrigg, Lancaster
LA1 4YT
United Kingdom

Home: http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/staff/xiao/index.htm
Corplang: http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/corplang

========

Hunston, S. 2002. Corpora in Applied Linguistics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Louw, B. 1993. 'Irony in the text or insincerity in the writer? The diagnostic po­tential of semantic prosodies' in Baker M., Francis G. and Tognini-Bonelli E. (eds.) Text and Technology: In Honour of John Sinclair, pp. 157-76. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

Louw, B. 2000. 'Contextual prosodic theory: bringing semantic prosodies to life' in Heffer C., Sauntson H. and Fox G. (eds.) Words in Context: A tribute to John Sinclair on his Retirement [English Language Research Discourse Analysis Monograph No. 18 (CD-ROM)]. Birmingham: University of Birmingham.

Partington, A. 1998. Patterns and Meanings. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

Partington, A. 2004. '"Utterly content in each other's company": Semantic prosody and semantic preference'. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics 9/1: 131-156.

Sardinha, T. 2000. 'Semantic prosodies in English and Portuguese: A contrastive study'. Cuadernos de Filología Inglesa 9/1: 93-110. Accessed on January 19, 2004 at http://lael.pucsp.br/~tony/2000murcia_prosodies.pdf.

Stubbs, M. 2001. 'On inference theories and code theories: Corpus evidence for semantic schemas'. Text 21/3: 437-465.

Stubbs, M. 2001. Words and Phrases. Oxford: Blackwell.

Tim Johns: http://www.eisu.bham.ac.uk/Webmaterials/kibbitzers/kibbitzer24.htm.