[Corpora-List] Legal corpora

Christoph Hafner c.hafner at cityu.edu.hk
Thu Jul 15 06:42:17 UTC 2004

Hello there,

A while ago, I posted a question about legal corpora available. This is a
summary of responses that I got from both the Forensic Linguistics List and
the Corpora List. I'd like to thank the following people for their interest
at different stages:

Sue Blackwell
Frances Rock
Gary Muldoon
Ilya Ahtaridis
Luciana Carvalho Fonseca Corrêa Pinto
Ralf Steinberger

A good starting point is the summary in the corpora archives posted by
Frances Rock the link is:

<http://helmer.aksis.uib.no/corpora/1998-4/0160.html>http://helmer.aksis.uib.no/corpora/1998-4/0160.html

Apart from that the query turned up these corpora/sources of text:

AARHUS CORPUS (contact: Ole Lauridsen ol at asd.bk)

The Danish-English-French corpus in Contract Law, better known as the
AARHUS corpus, contains 1 million words in each language. It is not a
parallel corpus.

The corpus is subdivided into 6 types of texts:
i) statutes, rules and regulations
ii) travaux preparatories (reports from law reform committees)
iii) judgements/decisions
iv) contracts
v) legal textbooks
vi) articles in law journals

JURIS

The Linguistic Data consortium has a 2 CD-rom set available from the US
justice department (see
<http://wave.ldc.upenn.edu/Catalog/CatalogEntry.jsp?catalogId=LDC98T32>http://wave.ldc.upenn.edu/Catalog/CatalogEntry.jsp?catalogId=LDC98T32)

There are a total of 694,667 document units in the corpus and these can be
categorized to some extent with regard to their content. The following is a
partial list of categories and their descriptions drawn from JURIS
documentation contained in the corpus. The terminology and organization of
categories are those used in the JURIS documentation:
    * Case Law
    * Executive Order
    * Regulations
    * Federal Register
    * Statutory Law
    * Administrative Law
    * International Agreements
    * Freedom of Information Act and related documents
    * Indian Law
    * Tax Law
    * Brief

EUROPEAN UNION LEGAL TEXTS

A number of different kinds of European Union texts are available at
<http://europa.eu.int/celex/>http://europa.eu.int/celex/. This includes
legislation, case law, preparatory acts and parliamentary questions. A
number of European texts may also be available via ELRA/ELDA, but these may
only be Parliamentary Questions and Answers.

Regards,
Christoph Hafner