[Corpora-List] Suggested Track for Studying Computational Linguistics

Grzegorz Chrupała pitekus at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 09:27:37 UTC 2005

On 26/09/05, Mark P. Line <mark at polymathix.com> wrote:
[...]
> And since it's a lot easier for a good linguist to understand
> software than it is for a good computer scientist to understand human
> language, I'd go for a computational linguistics program that is closely
> allied with (or even part of) a linguistics program.

FWIW, I think exactly the opposite is true: it is easier to understand
linguistics if you're a computing scientist than viceversa. Even
though human language is more complex than the subject matter of CS,
linguistics is still much less technically (i.e. mathematically)
challenging than computing. Compare for example the level of
sophistication in chapter 2 (Mathematical Foundations) and chapter 3
(Linguistic Essentials) in Manning and Schütze's Foundations of
Statistical NLP.
Cheers,
--
Grzegorz Chrupała ♦ pithekos.net ♦ pithekos.net/brainwave