[Corpora-List] Suggested Track for Studying Computational Linguistics

Mark P. Line mark at polymathix.com
Sat Oct 1 17:54:26 UTC 2005

Grzegorz Chrupa³a wrote:
> On 26/09/05, Mark P. Line <mark at polymathix.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> And since it's a lot easier for a good linguist to understand
>> software than it is for a good computer scientist to understand human
>> language, I'd go for a computational linguistics program that is closely
>> allied with (or even part of) a linguistics program.
>
> FWIW, I think exactly the opposite is true: it is easier to understand
> linguistics if you're a computing scientist than viceversa. Even
> though human language is more complex than the subject matter of CS,
> linguistics is still much less technically (i.e. mathematically)
> challenging than computing. Compare for example the level of
> sophistication in chapter 2 (Mathematical Foundations) and chapter 3
> (Linguistic Essentials) in Manning and Schütze's Foundations of
> Statistical NLP.

I don't like that example, because I think statistical NLP is not
linguistics -- it's what computer scientists do instead of linguistics.

But there's not really any point in debating the matter here. People will
make their own decisions about what route to take.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Polymathix
San Antonio, TX