[Corpora-List] Suggested Track for Studying Computational Linguistics

Bob Knippen knippen at brandeis.edu
Sat Oct 1 20:30:44 UTC 2005

Having studied in both Linguistics and Computer Science departments, I
think both Chrupala and Line are right. It is fairly easy for a good
Linguist to understand software but maybe not as easy for a good
programmer to understand Linguistics. At the same time, it is easier for
a good statistician to understand enough Linguistics to do statistical
NLP work than it is for a good Linguist to understand enough statistics
to do statistical NLP work.

I might even add to this that there is more to computation than
statistics and programming/software. Many of the formal systems that
Linguists use (formal language theory, logic, functions/lambda calculus,
graphs/trees) come from computer science and math and you can learn a
lot more about them in a computer science department than you can in a
Linguistics department.

So it seems to me there is no easy answer. You have to make a choice:
Are you more interested in the 'Computational' part or the 'Linguistics'
part? It's fairly hard to do both well.

Bob