[Corpora-List] Suggested Track for Studying Computational Linguistics

Christopher Brewster C.Brewster at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Sun Oct 2 01:24:00 UTC 2005

I agree entirely with the view of Grzegorz.

It may of course vary with age, intelligence and talent, but personally I
think computing involves a lot of hours of studying and acquiring a set of
skills which dealing with the difficulties of the linguistic aspects of NLP
do not.

Let me put it another way. A naïve computer scientist will try a regular
expression and find it only works some of the time. He will then have to
deal with the irregularity of language either by creating lists of
exceptions or more complex rules or both.

A naïve linguist does not have this luxury. He will have to learn
perl/python, regular expressions all a collection of statistical foundations
which few linguistic degrees provide. An linguists have little transferable
expertise in software engineering and systems design which as soon as a one
wants to make a complex system are needed.

I would draw a paralel with studying classical archeology and not having
done ten years of latin and greek. Possible but tough.

I speak as a linguist by original training.

Christopher Brewster

Natural Language Processing Group,
Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield
Tel: +44(0)114-22.21967  Fax: +44 (0)114-22.21810
Regent Court, 211 Portobello Street
Sheffield   S1 4DP   UNITED KINGDOM
Web: http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~kiffer/
A definition is the enclosing a wilderness of an
idea within a wall of words.---  Samuel Butler