[Corpora-List] Seeking for English gazetteer for countries, place names, regions, etc

Baden Hughes badenh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Oct 17 04:12:00 UTC 2005

The quality of gazetteer resource varies markedly, as does the cost.

Free ones:

 	UN LoCode http://www.unece.org/cefact/locode/service/main.htm
 	NGIA GeoNet http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/
 	World Gazetteer http://www.world-gazetteer.com/

Arguably the most comprehensive is the Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
(TGN) but it costs close of $1K US.
http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabulary/tgn/

Regards

Baden