[Corpora-List] Re: Ontology of Common English Name

Galileo Namata namatag at cs.umd.edu
Mon Oct 24 22:15:07 UTC 2005

I wanted to follow up on an earlier post I submitted. I actually only
received one reply, which was not a surprise given I have spent a great deal
of time trying to find a name onthology myself, but I did find some
interesting links that maybe of interest to some on the list. It's not much
but I promised to forward my results and I prefer to at least provide some
resolution to this thread.

http://press.jrc.it/NewsExplorer - Click on a story you are interested in
and click on a name to start exploring the name database. (Thanks to Ralf
Steinberger)

http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/names_files.html - Name frequency of
names from the 1990 US Census.

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html - A java tool showing the
frequency of names based on the Social Security Administration data.
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/ - Most complete one I found which not only
lists the source of a given name, but includes variants. The only problem
here is the information therein seems to be proprietary.
 Thanks.
 Galileo