[Corpora-List] Looking for English word lists

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Fri Oct 28 21:25:26 UTC 2005

>> I'm very interested in finding a list of n-letter English words: I'm
mostly after 4 and 5 letter word. I'm also interested in
>> two-letter character groupings; that are normally found in English .
. groups like 'ab',  'ac', ... 'ba', 'be',  ... 'za' ...

Along with some other interfaces for the BNC, the VIEW site
(http://view.byu.edu) would allow searches by word length and letter
sequences, e.g.

?????		frequency-based listing of all five letter words, or
?????.[n*]	frequency listing of all five letter words that are
nouns
*sk*		frequency listing of words with the substring *sk*
		etc etc

Also, if you want to limit by genre (spoken, newspaper, engineering,
etc), you can obtain the frequency listings for just these particular
registers.

Again, some other interfaces allow similar queries, but VIEW is free and
(hopefully) easy to use, and should meet your needs.

Best,

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Assoc. Prof., Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906

http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu <http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu/>

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **