[Corpora-List] Suggested Track for Studying Computational Linguistics

Mark P. Line mark at polymathix.com
Mon Sep 26 20:22:44 UTC 2005

Marc Carmen wrote:

> Do a Computer Science degree emphasizing language processing
> or
> Do a linguistics degree emphasizing computer science

I think it depends on whether you place more emphasis on your short-term
probability of being hired, or on your long-term ability to make lasting
contributions to the field.

If I were just finishing up as an undergrad, I'd go for the long-term
priority. And since it's a lot easier for a good linguist to understand
software than it is for a good computer scientist to understand human
language, I'd go for a computational linguistics program that is closely
allied with (or even part of) a linguistics program.

You're more likely to get hired with a degree in computer science, though,
for the time being.

-- Mark

Mark P. Line
Polymathix