[Corpora-List] End of sentence search in BNC

TadPiotr tadpiotr at plusnet.pl
Tue Apr 11 20:28:06 UTC 2006

Hello,
My students are trying to look at constructions that occur at the end of a
sentence in BNC, however, we seem to have some problems in searching for
such contexts, using Mark Davies' http://view.byu.edu/ (it is free and
fast...).
This query

in [pu*]

does produce some results (with a space between the punctuation mark and the
preceding form).

This query

in[pu*]

does not produce anything.

The results of the former are (the first line):

IN . 	9571

Unfortunately, clicking on the line produces just a response like that:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired
/x3.asp, line 290

The simplest question: can't I just use the character itself. i.e. the full
stop?? (I cannot, because this returns no results).
Using the regular expression syntax, i.e. [.!?] is no good, either.
Can anyone help??
Thank you.
Best regards

Tadeusz Piotrowski