[Corpora-List] phonemic corpora of world languages

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.cis.ru
Sun Apr 16 13:12:38 UTC 2006

Dear Corpora colleagues, it is 33 years after I entered the post graduate studies. It is 30 years after my first article was published. After that I published 330 articles and 6 books. I have computed the sound pictures of 157 world languages. Unfortunately, there are many more languages in the world which phonemic frequency of occurrence was never computed. I guess it is important to find out how one language differs from the other by the phonemic frequencies in their speech sound chains. They are as different as the faces of people, It is possible to compare the sound pictures of languages and draw some typological conclusions. However, it looks that nobody cares. I never received any e-mail message which would support my studies on the frequncy of occurrence of speech sounds in different languages. It is strange for me why American Indian, African or Australian aboriginal languages were never studied from this point of view. I wonder if I should celebrate the publication of my first article or I should regret that I went into linguistics. It looks that the Natural Sciences are appreciated by the society much more than linguistics. It is very sad for me. I wonder if you can explain why it is so. Looking forward to hearing from you soon to yutamb at mail.ru  Remain yours most sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk, Russia