[Corpora-List] mutual similarity

Stefano Vegnaduzzo svegnadu2 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 28 04:27:41 UTC 2006

Dear all,

I would like to ask for pointers/literature/references/etc on the topic of
mutual (or reciprocal) similarity. Here is what I mean by this:

Given a term t0 and a set of terms t1 ... tn, a similarity measure M
typically allows you to rank the terms t1 & tn according to their
similarity to t0.

My question: Given a term t0 and a set of terms t1 ... tn, and a similarity
measure M, and assuming a non-symmetric similarity relation (i.e., M(t1,t2)
is different from M(t2,t1), how do you compute the mutual similarity MS of
t0 with respect to each term t1 ... tn, where M(t0,ti) is different from
M(ti,t0). In other words, I am interested in computing and ranking the
mutual similarity of all pairs MS(t0,ti), where MS(t0,ti) is some function
of M(t0,ti) and M(ti,t0).

Cases of interest are for example those where M(t0,tX) is a bit higher than
M(t0,tY) but M(tY,t0) is much higher than M(tX,t0), so I would like a
mutual similarity measure to capture this by assigning MS(t0,ty) a higher
score than MS(t0,tx)

I found very limited references in the literature. For example D. Hindle.
Noun classification from predicate-argument structures (1990) defines
reciprocal similarity as the case where two terms are each other's most
similar term, but this is way too restrictive for what I am interested in.

Any help will be appreciated,
thanks,

Stefano Vegnaduzzo