[Corpora-List] mutual similarity

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Wed Jun 28 05:33:26 UTC 2006

Stefano,

This area has blossomed in recent years and there is ample work on the
question.

Greg Grefenstette explored it in detail in his thesis and associated book
(Explorations
<http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?coll=GUIDE&dl=GUIDE&id=527911>  in
Automatic Thesaurus Discovery, Kluwer, 1994).  Dekang Lin introduced a new
measure which has been adopted by quite a few people (including myself) in
his COLING 1998 paper.  Lillian Lee compared various measures in her thesis,
see her papers in Proc ACL 1999.  Since 2003, two excellent theses on the
question are by Julie Weeds (Sussex Univ) and James Curran (Edinburgh Univ).
Both of them are authors and co-authors on various papers further exploring
the topic - see e.g., Weeds and Weir in the latest CL, 31 (4) 2005.  Geffet
and Dagan (COLING 2004) is another thought-provoking paper.  In ACL-COLING
2006, Gorman and Curran move on to the next question: what are the
computational issues about producing thesauruses from very large (billion+
word) corpora.

Regards,

Adam