[Corpora-List] 'Standard European English' ?

Ramesh Krishnamurthy r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Fri Mar 3 13:58:17 UTC 2006

Hi all

My Google search on "standard european english" yielded 13 hits, but
only 7 were relevant: (my italics and bold in the citations below)

1. http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/adulted/lessons/lesson29_activities.html
The use of idiomatic phrases is a nuance common in American English
that often distinguishes it from Standard European English.
2.
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:KjIzv1_IM8UJ:www.gclabsite.com/eps/gc.nsf/PubWMarketing/3D243014CE07E929C1256DC1004CB05D/%24FILE/GC35_page22_24-25-26.pdf

Please note that I am purposely avoiding any comment about
differences between British or *standard European English*, and
English as used in other countries such as the USA, South Africa,
India or Australia.
3. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/808101043/m/5811012893
When I bought the game, they didn't have a patch for it. It took more
than a year to come up with a patch for the standard European english version.
4. http://www.nuim.ie/staff/dpringle/igu/mamadouh.pdf
A realistic option would be to use and abuse the popularity of
American English as the language of the hegemon and develop a
European variant of international English: Standard European English?
Continental English? Eurospeak? if dropping the reference to its
English origins is necessary thereby facing the task of turning the
so far pejorative term into something attractive. Whatever its name,
this lingua franca should be clearly different from British English,
and of course from American English.
5.
<http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/0411/techwhirl-0411-01030.html>http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/0411/techwhirl-0411-01030.html
I recommend Michael Swan's _Practical English Usage_ (OUP), ISBN 0 19
431197 x, to anyone who needs to keep up with the structure of
standard European English.
6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Hiberno-English
Not to mention the confusing (for Americans, at least) "Wednesday
week"... <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Makrina>Makrina 06:47, 1
January 2006 (UTC)
That causes no confusion for Brits - and is by no means exclusively
an Irish usage. Pretty standard European English, I'd say. What is
specifically Irish (I think) is "this day week" in place of "a week
today". Or is that Scottish as well?
7. www.vsnu.nl/web/p?DOWNLOAD.annual_report_2004_english_version&id=59136
In addition to developing the Bachelor/Master system, the
universities worked on other ways of internationalizing their
teaching, e.g. by developing a standard European English-language
'diploma supplement', in which the content of each graduate's course
is to be set out in detail.

[8-13. http://dreamspire.brightdreamer.com/book/fant1.htm
I liked this story, especially because it took place in ancient
Mesoamerican cultures.  It's nice to see something that's not
dictated by the standard European/English medieval fantasy ideal.
The other 5 were duplicates of this last - I think non-relevant - document]

No 4 was from a paper  titled "Supranationalism in the European
Union: what about multilingualism?", given at an academic Politics
conference in 1998, so probably quite an early reference to this term
- cf. there were NO examples in the 450-million Bank of English
corpus (last updated in 2001-2002), or in the BNC-World corpus
(http://sara.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/lookup.html).

4 of the 7 explicitly contrast "Standard European English" with
American and other non-European varieties.

It is interesting that the users of the term seem to be non-English
(as in England)...
Perhaps there is some antipathy to the term "British English"...

Does the term perhaps reflect:
a) a political agenda: increasingly closer political relations
between UK and EU?
b) linguistic fact: increasing competence in English throughout EU,
such that the distinction between "near-native" and "native" speaker
is becoming obsolete, as the variations begin to resemble the
regional/historical differences between English-speaker communities
within the British Isles?

However, the paucity of hits suggests that this is an as yet
unestablished term....

Best
Ramesh

Ramesh Krishnamurthy