[Corpora-List] Re: 'Standard European English' ?

Ramesh Krishnamurthy r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 13:37:22 UTC 2006

Hi Nick
The Bank of English (HarperCollins, regularly updated until 2002)
has 4412 examples of "already+in", of which at least 55 are for
"already+in+YEAR", from a variety of British and North American
sources, mostly written
rather than spoken, e.g.
-------------
usbooks/US ngland: 1550---1750, 109. Already in 1584 Scot described these
npr/US erms of history - but I think already in 1600 when opera was invented,
strathy/CA in the white lime quarry. Already in 1658, a few years after the
brbooks/UK inst itself- Romanticism. Already in 1750 Rousseau wrote that reason
strathy/CA ports of its proceedings. Already in 1764 one finds a ministerial
usbooks/US  lost control (1775). But already in 1770, Governor Hutchinson
usbooks/US who drifted on their own. Already in 1776 an observer noted
strathy/CA  ministers of state." <p> Already in 1780 the press was facetiously
usbooks/US n in the state of repose. Already in 1790 the implications disturbed
times/UK liked to write things down. Already in 1795 he used the word
usnews/US 8. Success had come early. Already in 1822, he was excused from
usacad/US pletely with this thought, already in 1856, before the coronation,
brmags/UK  an assistant, until 1872. Already in 1866 the Faberge firm was
indy/UK azy paintings under one arm. Already in 1900 he seemed to his
brbooks/UK natural human creativity. Already in 1915, Hobson had alluded `to
strathy/CA ts. It had not known that already in 1915 one <p> of the conditions
strathy/CA ts. It had not known that already in 1915 one <p> of the conditions
usbooks/US d Army were provided for. Already in 1918, at least one-third and
usbooks/US y exploited this fallacy: already in 1918, Ioffe and Krasin had with
usbooks/US leadership had determined already in 1918 to shift to personal
brbooks/UK  a tremendous outcry. But already in 1919, among the military and
usbooks/US thority over the country. Already in 1920 it was common for the
--------
Best
Ramesh

At 20:26 07/03/2006, Nicholas Sanders wrote:
>Does the panel agree that the use of "already" in the following is an
>example of SEE?
>
>         Already in 1976, UNESCO itself mentioned that this practice should
>only be used where absolutely necessary...
>
>Nick
>

>--
>
>Nicholas J A Sanders
>_____________________