[Corpora-List] Re: 'Standard European English' ?

Martin Wynne martin.wynne at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 14:20:30 UTC 2006

Ramesh et al,

The examples from the Bank of English (BoE) are very interesting (see
below). There do seem to be examples fo the kind that I called
'non-native' in my earlier posting (although it would be useful to look
at a bit more co-text). It seems that there are none of these in the BNC.

My intuition tells me that you can have simple pasts, but that the
temporal meaning has to be continuous, e.g. (made-up examples):

a. "Already in 1976, he ate too much"

meaning 'he was in the habit of eating too much', but not punctual
events like:

b. "Already in 1976, he ate too much cake at his wife's funeral"

The presence of examples of type (b) in the BoE could be attributed to:
- my intuition being wrong
- non-native authors in the BoE
- language change in progress (the BNC texts being at least 14 years old
and the BoE at least 4)
- an effect of the bigger sample in the BoE (400+ million compared to
100 million in the BNC)
- an effect of different sampling procedures, that different text types
and regional varieties are represented in the two corpora.

On the last point, it may be of particular note that the BNC tried to
only select native speaker speech and writing from the UK, while the BoE
aims for international coverage.

Martin

--
Martin Wynne