[Corpora-List] Re: 'Standard European English' ?

Serge Sharoff S.Sharoff at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 14:42:17 UTC 2006

Another observation coming from a non-native speaker, but with extra corpora at hand.  The expression "already in YEAR" occurs 7 times in the corpus of British newspapers (200 MW from the four major broadsheets from 2004), including many references to punctual events:

m Prada, but quite another to buy the wrong piece from Graff or SJ Phillips. "      Already       in 2001 questions were being asked about the couple living beyond their means.

time to time. But then he did inherit Europe 's fastest-growing large economy ,     already       in 1997 four years into its long boom. Your own legacy is not quite so glitteri

ud of this invention, for which he was awarded a Certificate of Merit in 1948 .     Already       in 1946, Whipple was taking an interest in the possibility of space flight. Mi

en if it is possible to be a good guy in the moral quagmire of a post-war Iraq .    Already       in 1999, Three Kings came across loud and clear as a Hollywood war movie like n

ore ghost story than navigational aid. Yet the geographer Gerardus Mercator had     already       in 1569 produced the famous projection named after him, through which it was,

on, the World Bank, to write off more of the debts it is owed, as it did once already     in 2000. " We propose to the international community that we consider anew all

articularly treasure some of his shrewd essays on the " European project " which    already       in 1990, long before I woke up to what it was about, he was describing as " on
---end of concordance---

Having said that, the expression is much more frequent in my English Internet corpus (19 examples for 120 MW):

http://corpus1.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/cqp-direct.pl?searchstring=already+in+%5Blemma%3D%22%40card%40%22%5D <http://corpus1.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/cqp-direct.pl?searchstring=already+in+%5Blemma%3D%22%40card%40%22%5D&corpuslist=INTERNET-EN> &corpuslist=INTERNET-EN

Is it correct to say that this expression is firmly established in SEE and in the process of gaining popularity in BrE and AmE?

Serge