[Corpora-List] 'Standard European English' ?

Martin Wynne martin.wynne at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 12:45:16 UTC 2006

The examples listed below from the BNC could all be paraphrased as
"already in [some year], something was happening" or "already in [some
year], something was the case". The example suggested by Nick (see
bottom of this message) means "already in [some year], an event took place".

The examples from the BNC all have past progressives in the main clause,
except for the first one, which has a stative verb ('be').

Nick's example has a simple past tense of an active verb in the main
clause. This is the usage which occurs in non-native English, and
strikes native speakers as, depending on point of view, either:
- charming
- just plain wrong
- an interesting interference error
- evidence of a new dialect of English