[Corpora-List] If + would , would

Ramesh Krishnamurthy r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 10:59:53 UTC 2006

Hi Parveen

Data from Bank of English (448m words,
HarperCollins, 2002) = British, American and Other data

1. "if+X+would" = 7507 examples

2. “would
would” in the same concordance line = 482 examples

3. Here is the distribution between US and non-US sources:

Corpus         Total Number of       Average Number per
                Occurrences           Million Words

usspok               14                  6.9/million
brephem              14                  3.0/million
brspok               49                  2.4/million
npr                  47                  2.1/million
usbooks              62                  1.9/million
brbooks              74                  1.7/million
strathy              19                  1.2/million
brmags               45                  1.0/million
usnews               10                  1.0/million
usephem               3                  0.9/million
wbe                   8                  0.8/million
usacad                5                  0.8/million
oznews               27                  0.8/million
econ                 11                  0.7/million
newsci                5                  0.6/million
guard                20                  0.6/million
bbc                  10                  0.5/million
indy                 15                  0.5/million
sunnow               22                  0.5/million
times                22                  0.4/million

Examples (from the US data sources only):

     and that they would do it `oftener if she would submit." Men, one woman
   the day, and it would have been nice if someone would have shown some
         that her chances would improve if she
would `walk more femininely, talk
  this, it would be greatly appreciated if you would send it to me. <MX> <p>
   I would consider it a personal favor if you would help me. <p> But no matter
a goddess we would woo in early youth if we would win her." H Rider Haggard
  be something, there would be indexing if there would not be a--a rate cut. I
don't think a lot of people would mind if it would get the economy going and
  increase. Many of the new applicants, if they would go to work, would have to
     said that it would be very helpful if Congress would support the type of
   considered a presidential candidate. If he would have any trouble, it would
   on? <p> Birznetz: I would be shocked if there would be compromise on--on
and she was in white and she was thin. If she would have been fat, it wouldn't
    because I didn't damp it, right? So if I would damp it, you would have #

Hope this helps
Ramesh

At 06:02 22/03/2006, you wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>Can someone help please?
>
>How often does this grammatical construction
>occur in American English? And, in which particular genre?
>
>If ... would ..., ... would .........
>
>Thank you all in adavnce

Ramesh Krishnamurthy
Lecturer in English Studies