[Corpora-List] If + would , would

Yorick Wilks yorick at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 11:01:19 UTC 2006

It's a pity youve gone for that particular pattern, if only because
the repeated "would" is unaesthetic to many speakers (and of course
it's NOT actually repeated in the woodchuck verse), and you therefore
dont get at the uses that are more particularly American, which is
what you seem to want. It's not right to say, as someone did, that if
+would removes the volitional force of "would" in favour of the
"hypothetical or counterfactual" one. Look at "If you would place
your leg there I could lift you up" which is both volitional and
hypothetical--i.e. it's asking you to do something, which "will" isnt
in the same way. I'm pretty sure though that the negative form with
if is distinctively American  ["If he would have had the balls to..."
as someone suggested] and grates on other native speakers for reasons
I cant quite see, since "would have had" is standard English. Has
anyone worked out how recent the "If..would have had.." form is?
Yorick Wilks