[Corpora-List] if + would

Fryd Marc marc.fryd at mshs.univ-poitiers.fr
Wed Mar 22 19:22:25 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,
I find "if he would have come, we would have gone ...." acceptable but marked
(informal) with the volitional meaning in the hypothetical clause.
Other than that, I guess we are really talking of oral structures, with
auxiliary reduction (near compulsory for the modal auxiliary and radically so
for the perfect auxiliary).
-If I'd 've known / If I'd 'a known

I would be tempted to say quite categorically that the above structure is highly
unlikely in formal speech, and most certainly ruled out in formal written
English (British or American).
Best regards,
Marc