[Corpora-List] if + would

Parveen Lallmamode parveenqb at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 22 18:47:49 UTC 2006

Thank you all for your input, specially to Ramesh, Jean-Charles and Mark.

I find it difficult to digest this construction even though I am not a prescriptivist. In Br Eng, we find the following construction for conditionals:

If + past tense, ... would (verb). [if he came, we would go  ....]
If + past perfect, ... would have (+ past participle).[if he had come, we would have gone ]

While in Am Eng, I was told that the conditionals can take the following forms:

If + would (verb), ... would (verb). [if he would come, we would go  ...]
If + would have (+ past participle), ...  + would have (+ past participle). [if he would have come, we would have gone ....]

I am interested in more genre-related data for the 'if + would + would' grammatical construction. For example, I would like to know if these constructions are really a standard practice and whether we can accept them in formal academic writing.

Thank you much in advance.