[Corpora-List] American and British English

Dr Hatch drhatch at bitsyu.net
Fri Nov 3 19:54:58 UTC 2006

In my experience it is not the question form 'have you got / do you have'
(and 'gotta X') which is either US or UK, but the positive response, which
is (or was until recently) 'I do' in the US and 'I have' in the UK. Though
as several have pointed out, there is a constant movement of forms and
expressions from US to UK English. But still Brits and Europeans produce
'explanations' and exercises in EFL coursebooks which explain what are now
archaic differences. (Mind you, just a few years ago I was working with a US
teacher who told all the students that UK English was 'bobby' and US 'cop'.

D J Hatch
Freelance
Belgrade