[Corpora-List] American and British English

Hans Lindquist hans.lindquist at vxu.se
Thu Nov 9 10:20:40 UTC 2006

Martin,

I'm really glad you brought this up - I've had the same thought. There are a large number of corpus-based studies on grammatical differences between British and American English, by people like e.g. Christian Mair,  Marianne Hundt, Magnus Levin (agreement) and Maria Estling Vannestal (prepositions). In many cases it turns out that the so-called British and American variants occur in both varieties, but with large differences in relative frequency.

Suitable corpora, like LOB/Brown, FLOB/Frown,  the ICE corpora or  British and American newspapers on CD-ROM are certainly the best tools for such comparisons, together perhaps with elicitation tests (which are much more work).

Hans

Hans Lindquist
Docent/Associate professor
Engelska/English
Institutionen för humaniora/School of Humanities
Växjö universitet/Vaxjo University
SE-351 95  VÄXJÖ
Tel +46 470 708570
Fax + 46 470 751888