[Corpora-List] American and British English-authorship

Dr Li Lan eglilan at polyu.edu.hk
Sat Nov 4 00:59:28 UTC 2006

With the vast change from printing literature to electronic literature,  I think it is unlikly for anyone to get a pour BE or AE corpus from the Internet, where editorial gatekeeping is rather limited. The globalisation enables people to travel and work in any part of the world. E-data are in most cases anonomous. We can hardly know who the authors are. The data collected in America may be produced by Britons working in the States. The non-native English users may have been educated in the States, UK, Canada, ect and they may have got the citizenship of these countries. So, how can we know the authorship of the texts collected?

HK is supposed to follow British English convention, as stipulated in governmental or institutional documents,  but in  my trilingual business corpus, BE and AE spellings co-exist; BE spelling prevails, of course.

Regards

Dr Li Lan
Assistant Professor
Department of English