[Corpora-List] American and British English spelling converter

Peter Tan petertan at leonis.nus.edu.sg
Wed Nov 8 03:05:13 UTC 2006

At 16.58 7/11/2006 +0100, Klaus Guenther wrote:

It is more likely that the UK texts are tagged as "EN-uk" and
Amazon.comreturns texts in "EN-us". The translation notice is probably
just the
product of lazy programming (they don't want to have to maintain a list of
languages that are compatible and therefore need no translations), though
they don't really do a translation. That would be my guess.
-----
Yes, it's largely that and various key terms get changed (because I get into
eBay UK and eBay US) - US shipping/ship/mail (verb) becomes UK postage/post,
US checkbox becomes UK tickbox, US check becomes UK cheque and the
currencies also change. Items listed in pounds appear with GBP in the US
site, and with £ in the UK site. The actual text put in by the seller
doesn't get changed.

Klaus, have you noticed what happens in ebay.de?

Cheers,
Peter